Client Advocate – VOCA FLSA: Non-exempt
Regular Work Week: 40 hours
Funding Source: Victim of Crime Act (VOCA) Supervisor: Associate Director of Advocacy
Funding Basis: Position is based solely on the award of grant funding. Suspension or reduction of this source of revenue may result in modifications of employment.
Job Summary: Under the direct supervision of the Associate Director of Advocacy, provides crisis intervention, counseling, support, information, and referral and advocacy for domestic violence, sexual assault and non-relationship stalking clients in nonresidential settings.
Task Assignment List:
• Complete an assessment for each client.
• Assist each client to develop personal goals and objectives.
• Assist each client to identify the resources needed to accomplish their goals and objectives.
• Make appropriate referrals to obtain resources.
• Advocate on behalf of clients with other systems when necessary.
• Follow-up with clients as appropriate to determine current status and whether further assistance is needed.
• Provide crisis intervention and crisis line support.
• Provide on-call services as assigned by the Associate Director of Advocacy.
• Transport clients when necessary.
• Assist clients with Personal Protection Orders as needed.
• Facilitate support groups.
• Complete and maintain accurate client and statistical records that conform to the Women’s Resource Center’s philosophy, policies and procedures.
• Participate in a client record review.
• Participate as a presenter at internal and external public awareness programs.
May require temporary assignment to emergency shelter, on an as-needed basis
• Maintain professional relationships with community agencies.
• Possess an automobile, comprehensive insurance, and a valid Michigan driver’s license.
• May require daily travel within the service area, depending on the assigned service site.
• Maintain and enhance job-related skills, including current certification in CPR and First Aid.
• Must participate in at least 24 hours of skill-building training annually, which may also involve travel.
• Assist staff with project needs.
• Comply with Women’s Resource Center policies, including those related to professionalism and confidentiality.
• Attend staff meetings and in-services.
• Complete other duties as assigned.
• Normal office environment requirement requiring standing, sitting, keyboarding.
• Specific vision abilities include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
• Ability to speak clearly and hear.
• Ability to transfer objects from hand to hand or hand to arm; reach with hands and arms; stoop or crouch.
• Ability to lift thirty pounds i.e., groceries, supplies and donations.
• Ability to travel to off-site locations and attend off-site meetings and events.
Qualifications Skills & Knowledge Required: Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience in a field related to human services. Prefer at least two years of experience in a position related to domestic violence or sexual assault. Must complete the Women’s Resource Center training program.
Personal Qualities: The position requires an ability to work with a diverse population using an empowerment model. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills. Knowledge of word processing and database computer software preferred.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work performed by employees in this position. This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice. Employees are required to perform other duties as requested, directed, or assigned.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $17.10 per hour
• 401(k) matching
• Dental insurance
• Disability insurance
• Health insurance
• Health savings account
• Life insurance
• Paid time off
• Professional development assistance
• Vision insurance
• 10 hour shift Day shift
• Monday to Friday On-call
Education: Bachelor’s (Required)
Experience: Human services: 2 years (Preferred)
License/Certification: CPR Certification (Preferred)
Shift Availability: Day Shift (Preferred)
Work Location: Multiple locations
Paid Training: Yes
Benefit Conditions: The waiting period may apply. Only full-time employees eligible
Work Remotely: No
• Remote interview process
• Personal protective equipment provided or required
• Social distancing guidelines in place
• Virtual meetings
• Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place
Download employment application here.